Recipe from: The Spiffy Cookie
Makes 18 cookie sandwiches, or 3 dozen cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar together. Followed by the eggs and vanilla.
- Gradually add the dry flour mixture into the wet mixture. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.(Or don't...I needed some more cookies for the party and made one batch I didn't refrigerate for the hour, and it still turned out fine)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the cookie dough on floured counter to 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie dough cutters to cut into desired shapes: cut out cookies using pumpkin or skull outline side of cutter. Then, use the other side of the cutter to create skull or pumpkin faces in half of the cookies.
- Bake on a lined baking sheet for 9 minutes or until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: In a small bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, butter, confectioner’s sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth and fluffy. Add food coloring and mix thoroughly. Spread about 1 tablespoon filling on each non-face cookie and top with a cut-out cookie.