Thursday, December 25, 2014

Candy Cane Cookies

I was actually surprised at how good these turned out.  I found myself with a ton of extra candy canes this year, so I looked for a cookie recipe that used candy canes.  So glad I did, these were a great holiday treat.  (My kids liked them plain, so no chocolate and definitely not sprinkled with more candy cane, so if you want a simple cookie, they are also good without the chocolate)


Recipe from: My Baking Addiction

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 drops pure peppermint extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, butter extract and peppermint extract.
Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in crushed candies.

Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Use a cookie scoop to form cookies.  Place the cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets, flatten dough a little. Bake at 375 degrees F for 6-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
If desired, dip the cooled cookies in melted chocolate and garnish with more crushed candy canes.

No comments:

Post a Comment