Sunday, March 25, 2012
Recipe from: Sweet Basil
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Corn Syrup
1 1/3 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
4 1/4 Cup Rice Krispes
1 Pinch of Salt
4 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, chopped
1 Handful Chocolate Chips
In a large sauce pan over medium heat, melt the sugar, corn syrup, and peanut butter until smooth and evenly combined.
Remove from heat.
Quickly add the salt and cereal and stir to combine thoroughly. Add the chocolate chips and stir again. Wait about 1 min and add the candy, quickly folding the mixture together so as to not smash up the candy.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop rounded tablespoons onto the sheet. Let cool and devour!
Thursday, March 22, 2012
Recipe from: Food on the Table
- 1 pound chicken
- 2 bulbs of roasted garlic
- 1/4 sweet yellow onion
- 5-6 baby bell peppers
- 6-7 fresh basil leaves(I used dried this time...it's what I had, but fresh would be better)
- Dried oregano, to taste
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 (32 ounce) container ricotta cheese (I used part skim fat)
- 1 egg
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Dried Oregano, to taste
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp of Parmesan cheese (divided)
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked per instructions
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Place the shredded chicken, roasted garlic, diced onion, diced bell peppers, chopped basil leaves, oregano, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste on a large cutting board. Chop all the ingredients together and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a large 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add ricotta, egg, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, fresh chopped basil, oregano, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Combine until mixed thoroughly. Meanwhile, cook the lasagna noodles per instructions then drain.
- Layer a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with just enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Lay three lasagna noodles in the pan. Spread some of the ricotta mixture on the noodles, then spoon some of the chicken mixture on top and sprinkle with a bit of mozzarella; spoon some sauce over the cheese; repeat layering. Finish with a layer of noodles and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, remaining 3 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of basil or oregano. Bake covered in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Enjoy.
Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Saturday, March 17, 2012
In a large bowl (it will boil over in the small cereal bowls) mix:
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oatmeal
Microwave for 3-4 minutes. (Or you can use the stovetop method)
Remove from microwave and add:
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. nutella
Top with sliced bananas.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Recipe from: Our Best Bites
Makes about 2 2/3 cups
1/2 finely chopped onion
1 Tbs butter
1 1/3 C chopped, seeded tomatoes (about 2 medium)
1 4-ounce can green chiles
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 ounces pepperjack cheese, shredded (about 1/2 C)
1 tsp cornstarch
1 8 oz package cream cheese, cubed
Tortilla chips for dipping
In a medium saucepan cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chile peppers, and cumin. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, uncoered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Toss shredded cheese with cornstarch. Gradually add cheese mixture to saucepan, stirring until cheese is melted. Gradually add the cream cheese, stirring until cheese is melted adn smooth. heat through. Serve with chips.
Thursday, March 8, 2012
1 tsp cajun-seasoned salt (or sub Mrs. Dash, it's good too!)
1 cup corn flake crumbs
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup oil (I use less)
Heat oven to 400. (You can line your pan with foil for easy clean up...I just use my stoneware)
Trim chicken and cut into 1 1/2 slices (tenders are usually small so don't cut them up)
Combine corn flake crumbs, cajun seasoning and four in a bowl. Place oil in another shallow bowl.
Dip chicken pieces in oil then roll them in the corn flake mixture. Arrange on pan.
Bake 400 for 20 minutes or until chicken is done. You can turn them after the first 10 minutes of baking if desired.
Monday, March 5, 2012
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- blue food coloring...add drops until you get the color you want
- 3 teaspoons vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon raspberry extract or 1 cup seedless raspberry puree (I have tried it both ways and both are great!)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
Mix all ingredients in ice cream maker and follow your ice cream maker's directions to make it into ice cream. If you want you can scald the milk and add the sugar until dissolved then cool before adding the remaining ingredients and making it into ice cream. I've done it both ways.
I skip the scalding because it is more work and the end results are the same :)
***I have also used half and half in place of the milk and heavy whipping cream and it worked great, so if you want to use all half and half omit milk and whipping cream and use 2 1/2 cups of half and half. Then you can feel better about cutting out some fats :)
Friday, March 2, 2012
Recipe from: Sounding My Barbaric Gulp!
1 pound ground hamburger
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 head roasted garlic, mashed
4 hamburger buns, split (I used Ciabotta Bread and it was great!)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
8 thin slices Swiss cheese
4 thin slices smoked ham
4 bread and butter pickles, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
Divide the meat into 4 equal portions (about 6 ounces each). Form each portion into a burger. Season both sides of each burger with salt and pepper. Remove the burgers to a plate when they are done.
Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise & roasted garlic in a small bowl and season with salt & pepper to taste.
To assemble, spread the bottom buns with mayonnaise & the top buns with mustard. Begin stacking the burgers on the bottom buns with a slice of cheese, a burger, a slice of ham, another slice of cheese, and some pickles. Cover with the bun tops. (Put it together however you want to.)
I skipped this last step, but wish I had done it, but it was still good...Cook the burgers on a panini press or wrap the burgers in aluminum foil & cook in a hot skillet over high heat (put a heavy skillet on top of the burgers to press them) until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Serve immediately.