My kids are always asking for donuts for breakfast. They LOVE them, but it's not something we make (or buy) very often. Something about fried, sugary bread for breakfast makes it an occasional treat. I saw this recipe for donut muffns and figured we'd better give them a try. I found this recipe made enough batter to do 12 regular size muffins and 12 mini muffins. My family loved them! We liked them better in the mini muffin form, so next time I'll probably do them all as mini muffins.
Recipe from: Brandy's Baking
For the muffins:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoons ground nutmeg, to taste
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
For the Glaze:
3 tablespoons butter; melted
1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons hot water
Directions1) Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a standard size muffin tin with (12) paper liners. Or make them into mini muffins.
2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth.
3) Add the eggs, beating to combine.
4) Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla.
5) Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
6) Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups 2/3 full.
7) Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes (less for the mini size), or until they’re a pale golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
8.) In a medium bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing together the melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and water. Whisk until smooth.
9.) When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden.
10.) Serve warm. Muffins will keep at room temperature for about a day.