Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Creamy New Potatoes with Peas

Growing up my mom would make this wonderful side dish when the peas were ready in the garden. My dad would go and find the new potatoes from the garden and we were in heaven. It's one of my favorite dishes fresh from the garden...maybe because it is the start of all the fresh goodness. Yes, it's basic, but mine never tasted like my mom's. She finally told me her secret ingredient this year....a chicken bouillon cube. Yep, that simple thing makes it fabulous. So here's the recipe...a little late for peas from the garden, but you can use frozen ones (from the garden of course) until next year!Measurements are approximate since I just grab and dump when I make this.

Potatoes
Peas

3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

Start by cubing your new potatoes and boiling them in water. When they are about done (tender, but not mushy) throw in your peas and let them cook for a few minutes. Then drain them well and set aside.
Then make your sauce: Melt butter in med frying pan over med heat. Stir flour into melted butter and immediately mix in your milk. Toss in your bouillon cube and bring to a boil, stirring often. When it boils about 2 minutes, mix with your drained veggies. Serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment