Saturday, January 29, 2011

Overnight Blueberry French Toast

This would work better for a brunch instead of breakfast, (or a dessert-- it's good). The cook time takes a long time, so not my favorite pick for "breakfast" unless you can wait a long time. Mine turned out a little eggy, but I think I just needed to add a little more bread. I just used a small loaf of maple oatmeal bread (crust removed). So this recipe may still get some editing in the future. Maybe I went too heavy on the syrup, but it didn't make enough so next time I'd add another half batch of syrup.
John's Rating: 8
Recipe from: Taste of Home Magazine, 1996

12 slices of day old bread bread, crust removed. (I used small loaf of maple oatmeal bread)
2 pkg (8 oz each) cream cheese
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
12 eggs
2 cups milk
1/3 cup maple syrup

Syrup:
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup water
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 Tbsp. butter

Cut bread into 1 inch cubes. Cut cream cheese into 1 inch cubes.

Grease a 9x13 pan. Place 1/2 of the bread in pan. Cover with cream cheese cubes and sprinkle with blueberries. Top with remaining bread. Mix eggs, milk and maple syrup together (I used my VitaMix). Pour egg mixture over the top and cover with tin foil. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. Remove from fridge and set at room temp. for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 350. Bake covered for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake an additonal 45 minutes. You want it lightly browned and the middle set.

During the last of the baking, make the syrup: In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; add water. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in blueberries; reduce heat. simmer for 8-10 minutes. Stir in butter until melted. Serve over French Toast.

3 comments:

  1. If you wanna try again with a slightly different recipe here's mine! It's pretty yummy. :o)

    http://pedersenfood.blogspot.com/2010/10/blueberry-french-toast-casserole.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was incredible....and yes it is almost a dessert! Thanks for sharing a taste with me. It was very yummmmmmmmmmmmmy. The oatmeal bread really enhanced the flavor. It was great the way you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS... let me know the next time you make this...I will be over.

    ReplyDelete