Thursday, January 20, 2011

Maple Oatmeal Bread

This bread had a mild maple flavor, I really liked the oatmeal flavor. I usually make my own bread and so I like to have a variety...this one has a nice flavor, but the loaves were on the smaller side. We turned one loaf into sandwiches and 2 days later I turned the other loaf into Overnight Blueberry French Toast (recipe to come).
1 1/4 cup milk
4 Tbsp. butter
1 cup quick oats
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups flour
(this recipe also called for 1/2 cup raisins-optional-I did not use)

Combine milk and butter; heat to boiling; pour over oats. Cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in warm water; stir in 1 tsp. maple syrup. Let stand until bubbly and double in volume.

Combine yeast mixture; remaining ingredients and make into a dough (adding more flour if needed-I did) Let rise one hour. Punch down, divide in 2 and roll into loaves. Place in pans and let rise another hour.

Bake 350 for 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment