Friday, July 9, 2010

Overnight Apple French Toast

I got this recipe many years ago from my Grandma. I just finally got around to making it and John is now wondering why :) It's almost like eating some warm apple pie for breakfast...He was thrilled! It was really easy to make, esp when I used a jar of sliced apples and makes for an impressive breakfast.
John's Rating: 9

Recipe From: My Grandma Egan (Similar ones on The Sister's Cafe and Mommy's Kitchen and Erika's Sweet Tooth)

1 cup brown sugar
½ cup butter
2 Tb white corn syrup
4 cups sliced apples (peeled) (I used 1 quart of canned apple slices)
1 1/2 Tbsp. Tapioca (or 2 1/2 Tbsp flour) (I used Tapioca)
5 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
Dash of Cinnamon
Dash of salt
8 slices of French bread, sliced 1" thick

Melt butter in saucepan and add brown sugar and corn syrup. Cook a few minutes to thicken. Remove from heat and pour into a 9x13 glass pan. Place apples over the caramel in the pan. Sprinkle apples with Tapioca. In a separate bowl mix the eggs, milk and vanilla. Dip the bread into the mixture, coating liberally. Use all of the egg mixture. Place bread over apples in the pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight so that all the flavors can penetrate. In the morning, place pan in the oven and heat the oven to 350°. Cook for 1 hour. (Include the warming of the oven with cook time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment