Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Applebee's Crispy Orange Chicken

This is my favorite thing to order at Applebee's, so I had to see if I could create it at home! So the only thing wrong with this picture is that it shows white rice instead of chicken flavored rice. I usually make it with chicken flavored rice, and it is a lot better. Applebee's also adds mushrooms (which neither of us like) and almonds (which John doesn't like), and it doesn't quite taste as good as Applebee's, but it is good! Another great recipe from recipezaar.
John's Rating: 9Cook Chicken: about 2 lbs (you can bread your own, but I use Simmon's Chicken from Costco)
While cooking chicken, make sauce:

Sauce:
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp orange rind
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup hoisin sauce (I buy an 8 oz jar, so half the jar)
1 dash cayenne pepper (I use a pinch)
1/4 cup sugar

Saute garlic in a little oil over med. heat. (only takes a minute) Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens to your liking, stirring frequently.

Pour glaze over chicken. Serve chicken over a bed of chicken flavored rice-a-roni. Garnish with slivered almonds and crispy noodles. Toss chicken with an array of cooked (steamed is best) stir-fry vegetables like broccoli, snow peas and red peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment