Monday, October 19, 2009

Krispy Kreme Donuts

I bookmarked this recipe long ago and John's been wanting me to try it...so the time finally came. Yum! Not quite like Krispy Kreme, but very, very good! You need serveral hours of rise time...so this treat takes some planning. I got 24 large donuts. I think I liked these better than the "raised donuts", but they were both good recipes.
John's Rating: strong 9



2 cups scalded milk
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons yeast
4 eggs (beaten)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
7 cups sifted flour

Glaze
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup cold water

Directions
1Mix together ingredients for glaze.
2Melt butter in hot milk, add 1 tsp sugar and salt. Allow to cool.
3Beat in yeast, nutmeg, eggs, remaining sugar, and 3 cups flour.
4Add rest of flour (dough will be sticky).
5Knead for 5 minutes then allow to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours.
6Roll out dough, cut into shapes.
7Do not re-roll dough I rerolled my dough...it was fine! Then allow to rise for 30-45 minutes.
8Heat oil to 365° and fry 1 - 2 minutes on each side or until brown.
9Let them cool on a paper towel - helps get the glaze to stick.
10Dip warm donuts in glaze. I dipped both sides. (I let it sit frosting side up for a few minutes, then dipped the other side)

No comments:

Post a Comment