Friday, May 29, 2009

Using Powdered Milk

I've been using pwd. milk in place of milk in my cooking. So far, it has worked great in everything I have used. I use the ratio of 3 Tbsp. of pwd. milk to 1 cup of water. I add the pwd. milk to the dry ingredients and the water with the wet.

Here's a chart:
Milk Water Dry Pwd. Milk
1 cup 1 cup 3 Tbsp.
3/4 cup 3/4 cup 2 1/4 Tbsp.
2/3 cup 2/3 cup 2 Tbsp.
1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1 1/2 Tbsp.
1/3 cup 1/3 cup 1 Tbsp.
1/4 cup 1/4 cup 3/4 Tbsp.

At christmas I needed some sweetened condensed milk...so I made some using pwd. milk. I couldn't tell the difference in the end product. I don't plan to ever buy sweetened condensed milk again when I can make it so much cheaper.

Sweetend Condensed Milk:
14 oz can:
1/2 cup Hot Water
1 cup dry pwd. milk
1 cup sugar
1 T. Butter

Blend VERY WELL in blender (I use the VitaMix)

Other things I plan to try:

Buttermilk:Add a Tbsp. of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

Evaporated Milk:(12 oz. can)
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup + 1 T. Pwd Milk

Blend VERY WELL in blender.

Sour Cream: Cool Huh?
I came across this one day on the internet and I know I bookmarked it...so when I find it I will post it!

I am also trying one more thing, starting tonight. My friend (Thanks Cindy) told me she has been mixing pwd. milk at night and mixing it half and half with store bought milk to save a little on milk. She said chilling it over night is key, and she has not had complaints from her family on the taste...so I mixed mine tonight so we will see what my family thinks tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment